What you need to know when purchasing new flooring
There are plenty of decisions to be made when buying a new floor. What types of flooring should you choose? What flooring options are available to fit your needs? Can you do the floor installation yourself or should you hire a professional team to handle the job?
The main thing you must decide is what type of flooring will best suit your needs.
Types of flooring
There are flooring options to suit a multitude of needs. If you are looking for your flooring to be water resistant, affordable, durable, stain resistant, ecologically friendly, natural, or synthetic there are options available.
- Hardwood flooring – A classic option, hardwood floors add warmth, beauty, and value to your home. Hardwood floors are made from walnut, ash, hickory, beech, oak, pine, and maple. They also come in exotic options such as Brazilian cherry and teak. Wood floors can be stained to a variety of colors. Hardwood floors are durable, easy to maintain, and can be refinished many times over the life of the floor.
- Bamboo flooring – Bamboo has been gaining popularity as a flooring option due to its status as an ecologically friendly alternative to traditional hardwood floors. Bamboo regenerates quickly and is widely used as a building material in East Asia. Bamboo flooring is made by the compression and bonding of bamboo strands with resin, which creates an extremely strong material that is resilient and highly suited to high-traffic areas. Bamboo is relatively easy to maintain, although it can be vulnerable to moisture.
- Laminate flooring – Laminate flooring can give you the look of hardwood or stone without the high cost. With recent technological advances in laminates, you can get the look of a very expensive floor at a fraction of the price. Laminate floor installation is much less labor intensive than the installation for other types of flooring. Laminate flooring is durable, affordable, and easy to maintain. It resists stains and comes in a wide variety of styles and colors.
- Vinyl flooring – Formerly known as linoleum, vinyl flooring is a cost-effective flooring option. Vinyl flooring can mimic the look of many different styles of flooring. It is installed in sheets so it does not need grout, it is water resistant, and it is easy to clean.
- Tile flooring – Tile is a great option for bathrooms, kitchens, mudrooms, or other areas that get a lot of traffic. Tiles come in a wide variety of materials, colors, textures, and shapes. Some types of tile are fragile so floor installation, repairs, and maintenance may be difficult.
Choosing the right floor for your home is easy if you know what options are available to you. With the array of flooring possibilities out there, it’s easy to find the flooring option that will best suit your needs. There are options to fit every budget, décor, and environment. The colors, styles, textures, and price-points that are available are limitless.
To find out more about available flooring options, or to schedule a free in-home estimate, contact a SMART Carpet specialist today!