Summertime Parties — How to Protect Your Hardwood Floors
Summer is one of the best times to throw a party. Whether it’s a BBQ or a pool party, a backyard sports event, or just an excuse to hang out with some friends, we wait all year long for these special celebrations. And sometimes, the best part is being able to host these events from our own beautiful homes.
But though we want to be warm and welcoming, we also want to be mindful of our hardwood flooring. Hardwood can normally take all sorts of foot traffic, but parties are special exceptions. With that much traffic at once, it’s a good idea to be prepared.
So what are some great ways to protect these dark and lovely hardwood floors that we’re so proud of?
A Few Simple Rules and Tips
- Pre-Party Prep: Sometimes parties require furniture to be moved or rearranged to clear up some extra space. That’s fine, but don’t forget to use soft furniture-moving pads or sliders to spare your hardwood from deep scratch marks. It’s also a good idea to give your floors a really good sweep and dust-mopping as well, just to ensure that all loose debris is removed. Prepare your highest traffic areas — inside the front and back doors, in front of the bathroom, etc. — with heavy throw rugs or runners that help reduce impact to your hardwood.
- No Waxing: Though it certainly adds to hardwood’s beauty, waxing your floors before a party is not really recommended. Waxing definitely adds to the slip-factor, increasing the chances that guests will take a tumble or spill food and drinks.
- No Shoe Policy: Instituting a no-shoes-in-the-house policy is probably the single best way to preserve your hardwood floors during a summertime get together. Sneakers, boots, heels, flip-flops — all of them track in water, dirt, small stones, and debris that can scratch the surface of finished hardwood. If the party is primarily outside, leave a simple series of mats so guests can remove their footwear before entering the home. And hosts can always inform guests ahead of time regarding the policy. Politely ask guests to bring a comfy pair of socks or slippers, if they wish. For guests with footwear or mobility issues, simply approach them ahead of time to work out a mutually beneficial solution.
- Emergency Preparedness: Sometimes unforeseen events happen — brief summer storms, beverage spills, other unexpected messes, etc. Be sure to have a stack of extra napkins and towels ready for just such an emergency. Placed in a convenient location, you can throw these down on the floor as needed for a quick cleanup.
- Post-Party Inspection: Cleaning as you go is always a necessary party chore. But don’t forget the post-party floor inspection. After the guests have left, performing a quick survey to make sure you didn’t miss any spills or debris is a good way to protect your floors. With hardwood, the quicker a mess is cleaned up, the better.
Contact the SMART Carpet and Flooring Expert
No matter what kind of hardwood flooring you have, it’s always helpful to have an expert nearby if you have any questions. We have years of experience with a variety of flooring choices, and we can offer tips to save you extra time and money.
If you’re in the Tri-State area, call SMART Carpet and Flooring at 1-800-526-RUGS (7847) for more information or advice. Our highly qualified specialists can bring our mobile showroom right to your house, at a time that is most convenient for you.
Call now to schedule an appointment!